Nov 18, 2016

PERSONAL / A Big Change: No More Fast Fashion for Me

scarf - h&m | coat - vintage

Read more about what I'm exactly changing by clicking on the read more button.

As some of you might already know from previous posts, I started this school year with a minor called Fashion Industry. The minor covered many aspects of the fashion industry, but mainly focused on what happens behind closed doors. The topic that interested me the most was that of sustainability. Of course, or at least I hope, everyone by now knows that the production process of fashion has its downside. We've all read stories about children working in bad conditions for low wages, all so we can buy our cheap t-shirts at Primark or H&M. And even though it's good that the world gets informed about this, I feel that there is not enough attention for the other negative consequence of fashion; namely the fact that it's production process is inmensely polluting. Tons of water are polluted during the dyeing process of fabrics, but also so much waste is created. Both by the producers, but also by us, the consumers. 


Thrifted & Vintage Only

And that's why I've decided to change my buying behavior drastically. I've always considered myself a 'conscious consumer' since I go for quality instead of quantity, and I buy thrifted and vintage clothing often. However, I want to take this to the next level. From this moment on, I will try to only buy thrifted and vintage clothing. For me it's like recycling. So much clothing is thrown away even though nothing is wrong with it, so why would we keep buying new stuff? I mean, trends come and go, but old styles always come back into fashion (take the flared jeans and chokers for example). There's no need to keep producing and buying new clothing in the large amounts we do today. Of course buying something new every now and then is necessary. I will still buy my underwear at Hunkemoller and when I need a waterproof jacket I will probably have to buy that new as well. You can't always find everything second hand. Anyways, I guess this is just my way of taking a little responsiblity for the mess we humans tend to make.

Time will tell if I can keep up the good intentions. After all I live in the city center of Rotterdam and I pass by stores almost every day. It will be hard to resist the shopping windows, especially during the holiday season we're entering right now. But I'm a strong believer of the idea that every gesture helps, even if it's a small one! 

When you're reading this I'd like to thank you for actually taking the time to read this relatively large amount of words. Compared to what I normally write on my blog this has the size of a novel haha. I just really felt the urge to share this thought with you, hoping that it will inspire some of you to become more conscious consumers as well. 

And that's it for now. I would love to hear your thoughts on this topic!
x

Ps. I wonder whether this change will shine through in my outfit posts? I guess time will tell!


6 comments

  1. Wat goed van je! Vind dat best knap hoor, ben idd benieuwd of je het aan jou outfits zal zien! Trouwens vind ik het wel echt een sterke zet om dat te doen helemaal als je in zo'n grote stad woont en er veel van die winkels zijn! Vintage / tweedehands is niet altijd lelijk en oud maar meestal super leuk en uniek! Hier (Friesland) heb je bijna geen en al helemaal niets met leuke kleding dat is wel jammer :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wat goed dat je dit gaat doen, lijkt me ook helemaal niet vervelend om alles vintage te gaan dragen hoor, dus ben benieuwd naar je vintage outfit posts! Overigens vind ik je deze look ook super staan :) En ik vind t ook juist leuk als je wat langere teksten schrijft, je schrijft lekker vlot dus daar lees je zo doorheen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goed onderwerp om het over te hebben, ik vind het een heel goede keuze van je! Ik ben zelf nog niet echt goed in toffe tweedehands kleding vinden, terwijl ik bij anderen zo vaak leuke vintage dingen zie. Maar ik koop wel een stuk minder fast fashion dan een paar jaar geleden, toen ik bij de Primark tien dingen in één keer kon kopen. Leuk trouwens om een wat langere tekst van je te lezen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cool dat je, je volledig gaat aanpassen! Ik wil dit zeker in de toekomst ook meer gaan doen, i vind tweedehands zaken echt geweldig, maar voorlopig heb ik gewoon de tijd nog niet echt gehad om echt "men best te doen" om er naar op zoek te gaan. Sowieso iets dat binnenkort wat gaat veranderen! En ik vind langere teksten zeker leuk om te lezen als ze interessant geschreven zijn ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Een heel goed onderwerp om het over te hebben! Ik vind je tekst juist helemaal niet te lang trouwens, het leest heel snel en fijn! Ik ben benieuwd naar je ervaringen en outfits!
    Liefs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dit is echt een belangrijk onderwerp en ik ben blij dat je er een artikel hebt over geschreven. Ik heb al een aantal documentaires gezien over fast fashion (noemt het denk ik) en het laat steeds een enorme indruk achter. Ik probeer om zo weinig mogelijk in de H&M etc. te kopen. Misschien moet ik ook eens tweedehands kopen, alleen heb jij bij ons niet zoveel 'hippe' opties. Wat een heel erg mooie jas trouwens!

    -xo Sara

    ReplyDelete